Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ommaya Reservoir

An Ommaya Reservoir is a small plastic device used to carry medicine to fluids in the brain and spinal cord. It also allows samples of cerebrospinal fluid (fluid around the brain and spinal cord) to be taken
for testing. I get one! So lucky!


Here I am as a mummy. Fitting for Halloween don't you think? This was the night before my surgery...

You can see the dots on my head where they attached the immobilizer during surgery.


Now chemo can be dropped straight into my brain and spine. The staples will come out in a couple weeks.


2 comments:

Ruoff family said...

Stay strong Todd, you are such an inspiration to us all. Hope you are feeling better now that you are home for a bit. The Ruoff family is praying for you, and yes you do look like a mummy, but one cool mummy!

Anonymous said...

Hi family Larsen,

my English isn't so good, but I will leave you a message:
I'm now 34 years old. When I was 10
I also had an ALL, but Typ C it was called, an even "stronger" one. So they decided 1985 to give me an ommaya. I had 5 blocks of chemotherapy each of 5 days. Each day I got chemo in it.
After a year they called me "cured" (?) - but the ommaya stayed until today. I'm very thankful to the doctors who did the right decisions. The leukemia hasn't been a problem since then for me.
I just wanted to give you just more hope, with my success-story of the ALL with my ommaya.
Hope everthing will turn to the best.
Kind regards
Miriam