Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Getting ready for round 3

I was surprised when my doctor let me come home so early after round two. I was expecting to be in the hospital several weeks but it ended up only being a week. He was confident I could recover at home just as well. That made me happy. Any chance I can spend with my family I'll take it! (plus my bed at home is a lot more comfortable)

Unfortunately, we found out that my sister Tiffany is not a Bone Marrow match. That made her sad....Tiffany, don't worry, I still love you ; ) My other sister TJ will be tested and we'll see if she's a match. If not, we'll go to the National Bone Marrow Registry. Have you registered yet?? My doctor said it is common that siblings don't always match but you find one on the registry. Please register! You may save a life. Maybe even mine. There's some bragging rights for you.

I got the staples out of my head last week and it's healing nicely. The Ommaya reservior will stay in forever so I'll always have a little bump on my noggin. Oh well, once my hair grows back you'll never know it's there.

After getting 3 units of platelets and 2 units of whole blood, my counts started climbing rapidly. That's a good thing. Thanx to all who have donated blood and platelets in my name. You rock! My doc says I'm doing great and I'm set to go in for round 3 on November 30th. I get to celebrate Thanksgiving and Garrett's first birthday at home. Woo hoo!!

A huge thanx to everyone involved in the incredible fundraisers thus far. We are so humbled at how amazing our community is. We love and appreciate all of you who are helping us through this tough time. We could not do it without you all.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am STILL sad about not matching you! What the heck good am I, huh?? At least maybe I will match someone else. I love you Toddy!
~Tiffany

Unknown said...

Hi Todd

Good to hear from you. I have registered for Bone Marrow test for you. I hope I have some Danish DNA which can help.

All the best to you from Tobi and Ole

Kay Miller said...

So glad to have your blog to feel connected to you! Keep up the good work and the positive attitude. We're thinking about you and praying...even (our Kelly) and she has some magical connection, when she was little she prayed for a rainbow and the next morning there it was on the way to school! So, we, along with everyone else, are behind you as you rock this thing! :)

melanie said...

I live in AZ and know your parents. Can I give blood here in your name?? I am O - (which is the universal donor) I'll give as often as I can for you if I can do it here. I don't know how that works.