Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Next stop...City of Hope

I just finished a battery of pre-tests over the last three days at City of Hope and the next step is transplant. I'm being admitted this Sunday February 21 and will then undergo 4 days of full body radiation followed by a week of chemo. This is to knock my immune system down really low and wipe out my bone marrow completely. I will receive my bone marrow transplant on March 2. (My new 2nd birthday) It will be like a blood transfusion.... 3-4 hours of getting someone else's stem cells and then it's a waiting game of making sure my body and the new cells "get along". There is a risk of Graft vs. Host disease, but my doctor has ways of minimizing that and/or combating it if it happens. I am a little scared but I am in good hands. I will be watched closely by my doctors for about 100 days after transplant and then return home to finish recovering for another 6-9 months.
I am so grateful we are at this point in this battle and that someone has agreed to give of themselves and donate to me. It is literally saving my life and I don't even know who they are. Yet. I will be given that opportunity in about a year.
It is a scary thing to have a life-threatening disease. I never thought I would know what that feels like. It has changed me. I see how precious and fragile life is. My list of "what's important" has changed a bit too. All we truly have are each other and when I think about all the people who have done so much for me and my family over the last 5 months I am blown away by the love and compassion shown to us. It reaffirms that we do only have one another and those solid, loving relationships will help us through anything that we are faced with. We are all so fortunate to have such a strong community of amazing people around us. It really does take a small army to take on this thing called life and TOGETHER we will KEEP GOING!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to have you back Todd!

Kay Miler said...

Todd, this is an exciting step toward your recovery. Of course it will also hard! We are all praying for your strength and courage through the rest of this journey. You're right, it is a huge lesson in life and perspective. It speaks volumes about you to see the kind of support that has rallied around you. It also speaks to the good that's in all of us...what an inspiring gift when we're giving to someone we don't even know, like your donor! Hang in there, be strong, God Bless!

Pini said...

Todd, you are an inspiration. Always have been. You have been through so much and are fighting magnificently! I am amazed at your strength and positive attitude continually.
I am SO thankful too for the person that is saving your life. How wonderful it will be to meet them in a year. That will be special for sure.
Congrats on a "2nd birthday"! That is so awesome and we will be sure to celebrate it and make it just as special as your "first".
I love you bro! TKG!

The Stimpson Family said...

Todd,
I am fortunate to be friends with your two fabulous sisters and have gotten the opportunity to meet your wonderful parents. Because I know what awesome people they are and know how strong they are, there is no doubt in my mind that you are strong enough to make it through the next long and painful part of your journey. You have been and will continue to be in my prayers. I wish there was more I could do to help you, but I know that through Christ - all things are possible. You have touched my life through your courage and perserverance. Best of luck to you and to your family.
Tracy Stimpson
PS - if there is anything I can do for your family while you are unable - please let me know. I love them all!!

Nancy said...

The saying "what goes around, comes around" could never be more appropriate than when I think of you Todd. Not in the sense of the dis-ease you are experiencing, that was just a wake-up call for many. But in the sense that you have given so much of who you are to ensure others have grown, thrived and known love. It has been my pleasure to serve you.

Peace to you - Nancy